Saturday, May 19, 2012

Liesl's Post - Our Mothers' Day Dance at School

Mothers' Day! In Mexico, Mothers' Day is on the 10th of May. (it is a very big deal in Mexico!) Since I got to school in April, we have been practicing for a Mothers' Day dance. I had to get fitted for a special dress (these were all traditional Mexican dances) and I had to tie my hair back in a special way. I did what is called a Mayapan Dance. I thought that it was kinda of cowboy style. I had fun doing it and practicing it with my new friends at school. On the evening of the performance, we (the dancers) sat in the school lobby for nearly 2 hours - a long time! The lights and the sound system came and went, while bats flew in and out of the school the whole time. But when it came time for us to dance for all the families of the school, I think that it went pretty well.

Here are some photos of me and Jeremiah during our dances. And there are also 2 videos of our dances at the bottom.

Disfrutalos!

-- Liesl


La senorita Liesl (she has been re-named here by the locals as "Lisa")


The rather sad-looking campesino, Jeremias.


Que guapos son!


Jeremias and sus campaneros.


Lisa y una amiga, Andrea.


La fiesta, por la calle, delante de la escuela.


unos ninos muy lindos!


Una baile Azteca.


Una danza de la region Maya - de Chiapas.


 Here are two videos from the fiesta - above is Jeremiah and his amigos; below is "Lisa" and her amigos. They are pretty cute (at least for their parents!)




2 comments:

  1. Wow. Liesl, you are growing up right before my eyes. You look so much like your mom in these pictures. Ah! I miss you so much. You look like you are having a great experience over there. I'm so glad you've made some friends. Do you speak spanish with them? Bet you have the language pretty down. HOws school? Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys look great! We wish we could have seen you dance. For some reason the videos are not working--we will have to get you to do the dance for us when you get home.
    J--did you keep that hat?!
    How's soccer? Hope you guys can teach us to surf.
    Miss you guys!
    JAK

    ReplyDelete