Monday, December 23, 2019

Just One Bogaard in Mexico: 2019

Hey all,
I know it’s been a while, but I thought it might be time the blog legacy be passed down a generation. So it’s Liesl here!

This December, I am traveling to a new region in Mexico: the Baja Peninsula! The trip has definitely caused some 6th grade nostalgia (and if you know me, I don’t typically look back fondly to middle school days). I am constantly being reminded of the original Bogaard family adventure through the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas, whether it be from the food or the language or the beautiful scenery. Even the distinct smells are pulling me back to our little cliff top home over the Carizalillo Bay.

On our first night, we ate dinner at a traditional Mexican restaurant. While I never liked the pozole back in 6th grade, I found it comforting now and so fresh. And the mole! I remember loving it so much before... and I can tell I have an even better appreciation for it today! Our family spent so many meals together sharing mole chicken and fighting over the last piece, bringing back the memories of Oaxaca even months after we returned home. Many of those memories washed back over me when I took a bite of that steak the other night.

And the smells! Yesterday morning I looked into the hot chocolate bowl and I smelled that traditional cinnamon chocolate melted into the warm milk. We were so shocked at first taste but I remember the drink growing on us so much over our stay, even in the sweltering heat. Other scents have reminded me of little moments, like sitting on the steps outside of school waiting to walk home with my parents, or doing laundry with new detergent. One of the most distinct smells I recognize is the second I walk into a bedroom; the smell is so familiar and so comforting, but I couldn’t begin to describe it... it’s just one of those things I cannot put into words! 

Overall, this Bogaard in Mexico had such an amazing trip! I felt like I had so much time to simply sit back and relax after a stressful semester. I consider myself to be so lucky to have such an amazing boyfriend (whose family is is thoughtful and generous!). They are so kind and so welcoming; I’ve truly felt as though I’ve been brought into the family. Kane and I always enjoy our time together—the last week, we spent ordering plates of nachos, watching Grey’s Anatomy, and barely winning cards games against his parents (who didn’t actually know how to play...). Also, because he is so great, Kane also spent more time than he might have liked taking pictures of me (which he very much wants credit for). So while I missed the other Bogaards, thank you to the Vu family for always making me feel so at home even when we’re in a whole different country. 



Some views from the “adults only” pool (Kane and I felt so weird because for the first time ever we were actually legally allowed in the adults area).

The Vu family playing shuffleboard (I was pretty bad, so I sat this round out!)

My breakfast every day: an omelet with chorizo and spinach!

The pozole that I couldn’t stop myself from eating long enough to actually get a picture before it was halfway gone (oops).

Me and Kane!

My preferred drink (left) and Kane’s all-time favorite (right) drink that we both enjoyed all week!


No comments:

Post a Comment