Sunday, April 22, 2012

Acc. to Liesl & Jeremiah: My first day at school

Jeremiah: This last week I started school in PE. The first day I wasn't so excited to get up so early since the last week I had been getting up about 9 am.

School had started and I was totally clueless. I knew that there were three kids in my class that that english. When I finally found out who the three were, I felt way more comfortable.

On my second day of school, I had gym class. I was really excited that I got to wear my sporty shorts (instead of the uniform). We played dodgeball with only one ball which was kind of weird to me.

Lunch is one of the weirdest things about the school because one the meals that you can buy is hot dogs. Why it appears weird to me is because we are in Mexico and you are eating hot dogs??? Another thing that is weird to me is that we have to write our own homework (assignments). So we are doing a lot of writing in school and I HATE IT!
========================





========================
Liesl: On my first day of school, the work was all just a jumble of letters that I had to copy down and bring home to google-translate. But in the following days, I made connections with the words and finally I'm starting to understand la tarea (homework) without using google to translate. The math is also very clear and we use mostly numbers and very few words.

There is an American girl (from NY) who has lived here for 6 years. She is fluent in spanish and translates the work for me, but for the first 2 days, she wasn't there. Some of the other girls helped by saying "copy" or "eat" and on the second day when they were all more comfortable around me, we practiced english (in their case) and spanish (in mine), forming sentences while I showed them cursive.

There is one girl named Brisa who sat next to me at our seats and explained all the work to me. She is really generous and I'm glad that this is the school I am part of because everyone has welcomed me very openly.

WOTD: La tarea: homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment