Monday, April 2, 2012

Visiting Puerto Escondido on the Coast.

I left Oaxaca at 11:00 at night, thinking that I would sleep and arrive in PE early in the morning. I did arrive early in the morning but because the bus driver first played a fairly violent movie and then he listened to the radio very loud all night long, I got little sleep. No big deal in the big scheme of things.

I was going to PE to determine if we would want to spend 2 months there. At first, I was not impressed. I was staying in an area known for its partying. I am not at all interested in that scene! The few beaches I visited were loaded with people. I loved the fact that everyone was laughing with excitement and playing like you rarely see here. But, because there were so many people, it was not very inviting. I had lunch and enjoyed watching all the fun, then I went to Carrizalillo beach where I found what I was looking for: a quiet cove but with waves sufficient for surfing. I am sure the waves vary from day to day but the four times I visited the waves were perfect. I took a surf lesson. Yahoo!!!

The guy with whom I took surf lessons showed me the private school where his daughter attended. I stopped by later, and director was happy to accept our kiddos for 2 months. Compared to the school I found in Oaxaca, this seemed like a better fit. The school in Oaxaca seemed very serious, a longer day, extra-curricular activities and apparently homework every night. This school seems far more relaxed. Better for our English-speaking children in a Spanish school.
Bottom line - we are going to set up shop in PE for 2 months. We still need to find a place to stay but we'll worry about that when we get there.


You can see where Carrizalillo beach is. The school
is near the gas station symbol. Hopefully we will
find a place to live in this area


This is an almond tree. Nothing like the almond trees
in the northwest. But sure enough there was an almond
inside.

Here's a mango tree. Literally all over the town.
A great source of shade and as far as I am concerned
a great source of danger. I can't tell you how many
times I almost got hit by a falling mango. It could
easily knock you out!


A papaya tree. Not nearly as prolific as the mango
trees.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for you to teach me how to surf! How do you say "watch out for that mango!" in Espanol? Love your stories...wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete