Sunday, April 1, 2012

An amazing hand-crafted house!

I met Rocio and her daughter Andrea on the Sunday bike ride to Ocotlan several weeks ago. We laughed together because we couldn't really talk (I am still not fluent!). At the end of the day she asked me to lunch at her house. Rocio speaks as much English as I do spanish so it makes for a very interesting conversation. I never really know how much we are understanding each other.

When Andrea is present we have a better understanding as Andrea takes English at school. She is 17 years old. The first time we had lunch she brought me to her mother-in-law's house. The entire house was masterfully hand-crafted by their "abuelito". Not a grandfather but someone very dear to the family. They had over 15 animals, including a toucan, a deer and turtles. The following are a few pictures of the house and it's surroundings. They really don't show just how amazing it is but you will have an idea. The following week I went to her house, a very modern and quite large for Mexican standards. Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me.







This is the entry way into the house. Many of
the plants have been shaped into animals by their
"abuelito"











This is part of the outdoor patio. There is a
white bull that is not shown fighting the
black one.









Here's Rocio and her sister-in-law Alema.
We are standing in front of a painting
their abuelito did. All religious content.













This wall says ayer (yesterday), hoy (today)
and siempre (always). "Ayer" and "hoy"
are above the large window. "Siempre" is near
the ground. They are hard to see in this wall, because the photograph is small...

Mucho trabajo!! (lots of work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment